Sunday, November 27, 2011

I have not been very good about posting lately--using the excuse that we are so very busy.  We are so very busy, so it works, but if I'm going to be honest, our 'open' relationships in our 'open' adoptions were not being so 'open' and I had no idea what to think of it.  I was distraught and couldn't really post about something that really isn't my story to tell.  I want open.  And from what other people say, we are pretty darn open in our adoptions.  And then all of a sudden....it stopped.  No calls, no visits, no emails, no responses--from any of our birthmothers.  I was crushed.  I know they all have their own unique reasons and our ebbs and flows are not always ebbing and flowing in sync with each other.  We chose to set some boundaries that caused one ebb to crash--and crash hard.  Out of respect, I will keep the specifics private but the result of no contact was not the outcome we were intending to happen.  I will never give up when things don't go as planned, but I will not push something that somebody does not want.  I'm sure there was a lot of anger that needed work.  The reason the new boundary was set is not something my husband and I are going to change our minds on and I'm sure it is not easy to take.  It does not change my love for her and my desire to have a close relationship and I hope we can work through that.

Another relationship is just plain hampered by circumstance.  Lack of internet.  Lack of phone.  Living a little bit too far to be more help.  Every time we had something set up to get together, it seemed to fall through.  That intense feeling of being crushed over and over and over again....and quite honestly, I am on the easier end of it.  I see my babies everyday.  I can only imagine the intense emotions that our children's birthmothers experience on a day to day basis.  

Then, out of the blue...I got an email from one birthmother and on the same day, a phone call from another one.  The good Lord knew that I needed to hear from them.  We were able to sneak in a visit in our crazy schedule with one and we are still working on the other one.  It seems everyone has a bit much going on lately.  I do not take my time with any of my babies' first mommas for granted.  Not one bit.  Reality warns me that it could be the last time--or a long time before we see them or hear from them again.  I hope they all know that I am here for them.  I do have their back.  I will support them as best I can.  I will stand up for them.  I will figure out how to help them make their dreams come true.  I will have rules...just like any other person that truly loves them.  Oh how I love them.  I hope they always know that.  Even when it may seem like I don't.  Here are some photos of our last visit.  Enjoy!   


Cousins 


Sleepy time on the couch! :0)


Lovin' up our kiddos! 


One of my favorites!  Momma and daughter.


Jenay and her birthmother!  Don't they look EXACTLY alike?

4 comments:

Shauna said...

Jodi - you are SUCH an amazing person and mom!! Not only are your kids blessed to have you... but their birth mom's are blessed to have you as well!! :)
I thought you would enjoy this and have been meaning to email or call u - but I will just write it here. I was talking to our oldest (23) on Thanksgiving (he lives with his birthmom now) and he says to me "Hey mom, mom says "hi"." I said "oh, tell her I said "hi". Then he just started laughing. He said my mom just said that i was one of few people who could say "mom, mom said hi" and it not seem out of place. lol. it was cool. :) May God bless you for all you do and your love of people!! Love ya girl!

Chris said...

Dear Jodie, Just wanted to contact you to let you know you have won my Christmas Stocking Give away. So now to claim your stocking can you please send me your address. If I get it in the mail asap you should have it before Christmas. Cheeers

Ashley Pichea said...

I'm not sure I could do open adoptions... it's definitely something I'm praying about as God leads us down the road of adoption.

Stopping by to say Merry Christmas!
- Ashley Pichea

Tepmmp said...

Open adoption is so amazing. And has it's challenges. We are blessed to have a good relationship with our daughters birthparents. But, I'm sure there will be hills and valleys as we travel down the road. Stay true to yourself and keep your children number one priority and everything will work out. Like you, I wouldn't have any other way than open!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers